Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:22:50 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com, john-dev@...ts.openwall.com,
	announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] invitation to team john-users in KoreLogic's "Crack Me If You Can" DEFCON 2011 contest

Hi,

As many of you are already aware, we're going to participate in the
"Crack Me If You Can" contest organized by KoreLogic at DEFCON 2011:

http://contest.korelogic.com

We participated last year as well.  Besides competition between the
teams, in a sense there was also competition of Open Source vs.
proprietary tools.  This year's contest may be similar.  In team
john-users, we're going to focus on use of Open Source tools.

We're going to have our own contest server, which our team's members
will use to exchange files and to upload cracked passwords for automatic
submission to contest organizers.  We're also going to have a private
mailing list to coordinate our team's activities in the contest.
(We used these same mechanisms last year.)  We may use other
communication channels as well - e.g., IRC.  And we'll be using
cutting-edge John the Ripper code.

Being on team john-users is an excellent way to get more involved in our
community, as well as to learn new tricks and tools - although we expect
that every team member readily possesses at least basic John the Ripper
usage skills and experience.

If you'd like to join team john-users, please e-mail me off-list.  If
you have any questions or comments on this invitation, please post them
to the john-users mailing list (join the list first if you're not on it
already).

Thanks,

Alexander