Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 00:07:06 +0300
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: [openwall-announce] Google Summer of Code 2011 (GSoC)

Openwall is accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of
Code 2011:

Here's our ideas page (includes ideas on Owl, JtR, and a lot more):

For those not familiar with Google Summer of Code:

Nmap project ( summarizes GSoC as follows:
"This innovative and extraordinarily generous program provides $5,000
stipends to 1,000+ college and graduate students to create and enhance
open source software during their summer break.  Students gain valuable
experience, get paid, strengthen their resume, and write code which will
be distributed freely and used by millions of people!"

We'd like to hear from students interested in working on any of the
ideas (or on their "own creative and relevant idea"), as well as from
prospective mentors.  We're already aware of some. :-)

March 18-27:
Would-be student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring

March 28:
Student application period opens.