Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 06:51:14 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com, owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] new OpenVZ kernel, new Owl ISOs and OpenVZ container templates

Hi,

Today's ISO images and pre-created OpenVZ container templates of
Owl-current for x86 and x86-64 are currently propagating to our FTP
mirrors.  The ISOs are also available via direct download links right
off the Owl homepage:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/
http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml

We have updated Owl to use OpenVZ's latest kernel from their "rhel5"
branch (released on 03/18), with RHEL5 patches further updated from
Red Hat's latest stable kernel (released on 03/16) and with some minor
changes of our own.  Thus, we're ahead of OpenVZ official kernels in
terms of security fixes right now, and there have been quite a few of
those lately...

The packages of gzip, VIM, tcb, JtR, tcsh, quota, passwdqc, libnids,
pciutils, hdparm, and tar have been updated to new versions or
patchlevels, and changes have been made to several other packages (cpio,
glibc, bash to name a few).

Please refer to the Owl-current change log for more information on some
of the changes:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/CHANGES-current.shtml

As usual, minor changes are only documented in those packages' change
logs.  Additionally, this time all packages have been rebuilt to ensure
that we avoid any surprises as we get closer to making a new release.

Alexander