Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:21:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com

Hi,

This is to announce three news items at once:

1. I've released the Linux 2.4.33-ow1 patch yesterday.  Besides updating
the patch to Linux 2.4.33, I've added a few hardening changes in
response to recently discovered security flaws that affect 2.6.x kernels.
(2.4.x kernels are believed to not be affected for various subtle
reasons, but better safe than sorry.)

The patch is available at the usual location:

	http://www.openwall.com/linux/

2. We've setup local web-based archives of Openwall mailing lists
(announce, john-users, popa3d-users, owl-users):

	http://www.openwall.com/lists/

Right now, the interface is not as feature-rich as Gmane or MARC - in
fact, it is lacking some essential features - but it will be improving.

3. As some of you might know, there have been numerous attempts to
introduce parallel processing support into John the Ripper password
cracker that I wrote, including with the use of MPI.  While I find those
hacks of JtR unsuitable for practical use, I have nevertheless placed
five of them into the contrib/ directory:

	ftp://ftp.openwall.com/pub/projects/john/contrib/mpi/

Please be sure to read the README file before you do anything with
these.

I am not similarly redistributing non-MPI parallel processing hacks of
JtR yet.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598