Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:45:59 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com, owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: lwn@....net
Subject: Silence on the Wire; new Owl-current ISO image; Linux 2.4.31-ow1

Hi,

This is a cumulative announcement for three Openwall news items, with
the oldest in fact not being very new.  I did not want to "spam" the
announcements list by exceeding my promised rate of 1-2 postings a month.

I'll start with the book.  I hope owl-users will excuse me for the plug.

Silence on the Wire is Michal Zalewski's first book.  I had the
privilege to serve as the technical reviewer for the book and to write
the foreword for it.  And I've just setup a web page dedicated to the
book:

	http://www.openwall.com/books/silence/

SotW is a gem of a book.  It is truly unique in many aspects, and a must
have for anyone curious to learn of the lesser-known security threats
with modern computing, as well as of the inner workings of computers and
computer networks.  As a reviewer wrote, the book is "thought-provoking",
which was precisely the goal.  Needless to say, I highly recommend that
you order your copy now. :-)

Now, to the less exciting news.  Yes, there's a new ISO-9660 image of
Owl-current.  The latest one, dated 2005/07/03, is based around Linux
2.4.31-ow1, glibc 2.3.5+, OpenSSL 0.9.7g, Postfix 2.2.4, as well as very
recent coreutils, findutils, and other packages.  Dmitry V. Levin, who
was involved with Owl for years but has joined our core team just
recently, was the one to contribute the most to keeping Owl up to date
this time around, and, as expected, I find the quality of his work to be
exceptionally high.

The download size (of the gzipped ISO) is up to 383 MB, and it occupies
around 620 MB on a CD.  (Yes, we'll have to be dealing with those size
increases.  Owl must not outgrow a single CD any time soon.)

The change log (listing the major changes only) is available here:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/CHANGES-current.shtml

The download locations are as usual:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml

We've lost a couple of mirrors, though.  BTW, we're still looking for a
second US mirror, as well as for mirrors in Canada and Japan.  Our
mirroring instructions are available here:

	http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/doc/MIRRORING?rev=HEAD;content-type=text%2Fplain

The new ISO is available as Owl-current-20050703-i386.iso.gz under
/pub/Owl/current/iso.  Its integrity may be verified by checking the
detached PGP signature for iso.mtree (found in the same directory) and
by checking the gzipped ISO against its recorded cryptographic digests
with mtree.  The shell commands may be as follows:

	gpg iso.mtree.sign
	mtree -f iso.mtree

Finally, the Linux 2.4.31-ow1 kernel patch is available separately from
Owl, at the usual location:

	http://www.openwall.com/linux/

For most systems, Linux 2.4.31-ow1 is essentially the same as 2.4.30-ow3,
so upgrading from that version is not needed.  Upgrading from even older
versions may be needed (please review the security notes on the above
web page and/or past announcements).

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar